PWCS and families prepare in case serious respiratory bug bites here
PWCS y las familias se preparan en caso de virus respiratorio grave (Más información)
مدارس برينس ويليام العامة والأسر تستعد لمرض
PWCS và các gia đình chuẫn bị trong trường hợp nghiêm trọng về bọ cắn ảnh hưởng
đường hô hấp ở đây (Hãy xem tiếp)
Respiratory Ailment Preparation 2014
A common respiratory virus has been hitting children in some states particularly hard. Enterovirus D-68 can cause severe breathing problems, especially in children with asthma or other existing conditions.
Prince William County Public Schools remains prepared for the possible arrival of Enterovirus D-68. With your help, and the use of standard precautions, we can minimize any possible impact from this ailment to keep our students and families healthy.
What to look out for:
- Watch for cold-like symptoms that seem worse than normal, or involve fever, rash, or difficulty breathing;
- Get children to a doctor quickly if they have existing respiratory problems like asthma, or have increasing respiratory difficulty.
Good health practices are the best protection:
Enteroviruses are common and can't be prevented or cured. Their spread can be controlled.
What PWCS is doing:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water. Many disinfectant products are not effective on viruses;
- Cover nose and mouth with a sleeve or a tissue when coughing or sneezing;
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth to prevent the spread of germs;
- Watch carefully for cold-like symptoms—sick adults and children should be kept at home at least 24 hours after fever is gone;
- Pick students up immediately if they become ill at school;
- If someone is sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to help prevent spreading illness;
- Avoid kissing, hugging, or sharing utensils with people who are sick;
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as toys and doorknobs, especially if someone is sick.
- School nurses will be carefully monitoring and logging student health;
- Good health practices will be reinforced with students;
- Students showing symptoms of illness will be promptly sent home;
- Parents will be alerted to any unusual levels of illnesses.
As with many ailments, good preparation and precautionary measures are truly the best medicine for Enterovirus D-68.
Be ready. But like the flu or other ailments, this is no cause for unusual concern.